People Magazine has announce Beyonce as its’ 2012 Most Beautiful Woman. The Grammy winner joins a list shared by Nicole Kidman, Julia Roberts, and Jessica Pare of “Mad Men”. There’s no surprise the new mother to Blue Ivy Carter received this honor, as she’s always so well put together from head to toe. And with summerfast approaching in Jacksonville, FL, toes will become more visible as folks trade shoes for sandals… or just opt to go barefoot! Unfortunately, far too many people keep their tootsies under cover due to toenail fungus.
Toenail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, is a dermatophyte fungal infection of the nail and one of the most common dermatologic disorders affecting the foot. The sometimes “ugly and embarrassing” toenail fungus can be ignored because the infection can be present for years causing no pain.
Signs and symptoms of nail fungi are:
- Discolored nails; yellow streaks, white spots, brown or grey nail, etc.
- Brittle, broken, and thickened nail
- Soft and powdery nail surface
- Damaged, crumbly, nail surface
- Lifting of the leading edge of the nail
- Occasionally an odor – the condition is very tough to miss
In the past, the only medical treatment for fungal nails included:
- Topical medications: generally minimally effective or completely ineffective
- Oral agents (pills): potentially successful in treating the infection, have been known to affect the liver and/or kidneys if special care is not taken
- Surgical removal of the nail plate: painful and debilitating
Fortunately, modern medicine and the First Coast Foot and Ankle Clinic have an easy solution to treat nail fungus… the PinPointe FootLaser. This FDA approved, patented laser is specially designed to shine through your toenail and destroy the specific pathogens embedded in and under the toenail causing the infection.
About the PinPointe FootLaser:
- Does not effect healthy tissue
- Little to no discomfort associated with the treatment during or after (some patients report the sensation of heat on their toes during treatment)
- Will not harm or affect your activity in any way
- No age or health restrictions or limitations (Men, women diabetics and those who are pregnant can benefit from treatment)
- Only a licensed physician such as Dr. Reddy can administer the PinPointe FootLaser
If you or someone you know may be shy to show their toes due to potential toenail fungus request an appointment today. Imagine how much more enjoyable a day at the pool or Jacksonville Beach could be with a visit to the First Coast Foot and Ankle Clinic.